FALCONS AND BRUINS BATTLED BACK IN 1997
May 5, 2008 - It's hard to believe that it has been 11 years since the Springfield Falcons and Providence Bruins played one of the more memorable Calder Cup playoff series in Springfield Hockey history. During the Spring of 1997, the Falcons defeated the Bruins four games to one in their best-of-seven second round match-up. With their series win over Providence, Springfield advanced to the Calder Cup semi-finals that year.
Tuesday, May 6, 2008 will mark the 11-year anniversary of the Falcons taking a 3-0 series lead over the Bruins in that post-season battle. It was back on May 6, 1997 when Chris Longo's marker at 13:50 of overtime sent Springfield into game four of that series with a commanding 3-0 series lead. Listed below is a look back at that memorable game three in Providence:
- The Falcons won game three by a score of 4-3 at the Providence Civic Center.
- The Falcons received goals from Deron Quint, Steve Martins, Kevin Brown and Chris Longo.
- Springfield goaltender Manny Legace stopped 38 of 41 shots on goal earning the win.
- Current Providence Bruins assistant coach Rob Murray assisted on Chris Longo's game-winning goal.
- The Falcons trailed 3-2 late in game 3 before Kevin Brown tied the score at 3-3 on the power play.
- Chad Kilger, Steve Halko, Juha Ylonen, Jason McBain, and Jeff Daniels also had assists for Springfield.
- Former Falcons players Martin Simard and Anders Myrvold were playing for Providence that season.
- The Falcons would go on and win the series in five games.