FALCONS FALL TO CRUNCH 6-3 AT THE NEST
January 15, 2010 - The Springfield Falcons lost to the Syracuse Crunch 6-3 on Friday night at the MassMutual Center. Marc Pouliot converted on the power play at 18:35 of the first period giving the Falcons a one-goal advantage. It was Pouliot's first goal of the season in only his second game this year.
In the second period, Syracuse exploded for four unanswered goals taking a 4-1 lead into the second intermission. Dylan Reese scored twice, while Tomas Kana and Trevor Frischmon also converted for the Crunch in the middle period.
In the third period, the Falcons cut their deficit to 4-2 when Liam Reddox scored his eighth goal of the season, but Syracuse quickly expanded their lead to 5-2 when Mike Radja scored less than a minute after Reddox's goal. Syracuse took a 6-2 advantage at 17:59 of the final period when Dan Fritsche scored, but Slava Trukhno ended the scoring with his fourth marker of the campaign with 56-seconds remaining in regulation.
Ryan MacMurchy - Ryan O'Marra - Colin McDonald
Chad Wiseman - Marc Pouliot - Colton Fretter
Charles Linglet - Rob Hisey - Liam Reddox
Kip Brennan - Bill Thomas - Slava Trukhno
Theo Peckham - Alex Plante
Dean Arsene - Jake Taylor
Taylor Chorney - Kevin McLeod
FALCONS SCRATCHES - J.F. David (Injured), Matt Nickerson (Healthy), Johan Motin (Healthy), Geoff Paukovich (Flu), Chris Minard (Injured), Bryan Lerg (Injured), Chris Armstrong (Injured), Kelly Czuy (Injured), Cody Wild (Healthy)
GAME NIGHT NOTES.....................
Game Setup: The Springfield Falcons and Syracuse Crunch meet for the first and only time at the MassMutual Center this season when they battle on Friday night. Overall, this will be the 31st meeting all-time between the Falcons and Crunch with the Falcons winning 15, losing eight and seven contests decided in overtime. The Falcons and Crunch will conclude their season series in Syracuse on February 27.
The Falcons head into Friday’s contest looking for their second straight win after defeating the Worcester Sharks by a score of 4-3 in overtime on Wednesday night. Taylor Chorney netted the game-winner in the extra session giving Springfield their first overtime win this season in nine opportunities. Rob Hisey added two goals in the victory, both markers tied the game in the third period. Liam Reddox added one goal and one assist, while Charles Linglet collected three assists on Wednesday. Goaltender J.P. Levasseur was steady between the pipes stopping 34 of 37 shots in earning his first win in a Falcons uniform.
The Crunch head into Springfield having won their last three games, including a 3-2 win at Lowell on Wednesday night. Syracuse has won four of their last five games overall and have improved their record to 15-19-3-3 on the season. Tonight will be Syracuse’s fifth straight road game and since the holiday break, they have played eight of their last nine games on the road.
FALCONS PLAYER NOTES
• Rob Hisey has scored six goals and added three assists in eight games since joining the Falcons on December 28. Hisey originally signed a PTO, but he did sign an AHL standard player contract last week. Hisey has collected at least a point in six of his eight games played.
• Falcons all-star representative Charles Linglet has one goal and five assists in his last four games played. Linglet is currently fourth in the AHL in scoring with nine goals and 33 assists for 42 points in 43 games. He is also second in the league in assists.
• Liam Reddox has two goals and one assist in his last three games.
• Rookie defenseman Alex Plante has one goal and two assists in his last two games.
CRUNCH PLAYER NOTES
• Defenseman Dylan Reese has two assists in his last two games.
• Defenseman Jonathan Sigalet has two goals in his last three games.
• Brendan Bell has one goal and three assists in his last three games.
• Jared Aulin has scored a goal in three of his last four games and overall he has three goals and two assists in his last four contests.
• Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman is on a three-game scoring streak collecting three assists in that span.
FALCONS TRANSACTIONS: The Springfield Falcons announced on Thursday they have released Nikita Kashirsky from his Professional Tryout Agreement. The Falcons also announced they have signed goaltender Andrew Penner to a Professional Tryout Agreement. Penner has played in 19 games for the Central Hockey League’s Colorado Eagles this year posting a record of 13-4-2 with a 2.95 goals against average and .906 save percentage. Penner has played in 91 career AHL games, including 63 games with the Syracuse Crunch from 2004-2006 and 28 appearances with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the 2006-07 season.
CRUNCH TRANSACTIONS: The Syracuse Crunch announced Wednesday that they have recalled goaltender Dan Taylor from Gwinnett (ECHL).
Taylor, 23, has appeared in two games with the Crunch this season, going 0-1-0 with a 3.82 goals against average and .861 save percentage. He has also skated in 18 games with Gwinnett this year, going 9-6-3 with a 3.52 goals against average and .904 save percentage.
In 40 career AHL games with the Crunch and Manchester, Taylor is 20-10-4 with a 2.55 goals against average and .915 save percentage. A native of Plymouth, England, Taylor was selected by Los Angeles in the seventh round, 221st overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He was signed by the Crunch to an AHL contract, October 1, 2009.