FALCONS FALL TO WOLF PACK 7-5
April 10, 2010 - The Springfield Falcons lost to the Hartford Wolf Pack 7-5 on Saturday night at the XL Center in Hartford, CT. Chris Minard scored his 20th and 21st goals of the year for Springfield and rookie Matt Beca tallied his first AHL/pro goal. The Falcons conclude their 2009-10 regular season on Sunday afternoon at the MassMutual Center when they host Manchester starting at 3pm.
With the Falcons leading 1-0 heading into the second period, Hartford exploded for seven goals in the middle frame. Kris Newbury, Corey Locke, Dane Byers, Chris McKelvie and Andres Ambuhl scored for the Wolf Pack within the first 10 minutes of the second period building a 5-1 Hartford lead. Colin McDonald cut Springfield's deficit to 5-2, but Ambuhl and Locke each scored their second markers of the period giving Hartford a 7-2 cushion through 40 minutes.
In the third period, the Falcons battled back and continued to chip away at their deficit. Minard scored his second goal of the game early in the final frame cutting the Wolf Pack advantage to 7-3, followed by Colton Fretter recording his team-leading 25th goal of the year. Beca's first AHL/pro goal pulled Springfield to within 7-5, but that was the end of the scoring for the night.
It was a very chippy second period as Jake Taylor and Jared Nightingale dropped the gloves after Taylor was involved in an earlier altercation after Locke's first goal of the game. Springfield's Ryan Donald and Hartford's Dane Byers dropped the gloves in the opening period.
Jesse Gimblett - Rob Hisey - Colton Fretter
Slava Trukhno - Chris Vande Velde - Matt Beca
Liam Reddox - Ryan O'Marra - Colin McDonald
Chris Minard - Chad Wiseman - Jordan Eberle
J.F. David - Johan Motin
Ryan Donald - Jake Taylor
Eddie Del Grosso - Jeff Petry
FALCONS SCRATCHES - Chris Armstrong, Matt Nickerson, Ryan MacMurchy, Geoff Paukovich, Bryan Lerg, Alex Plante, Kip Brennan, Tony DeHart, Blair Riley
Game Night Notes ...
Game Setup: The Wolf Pack skated away with a 6-1 win in last Saturday’s meeting between these two teams at the MassMutual Center. The Falcons are 4-4-1-0 against Hartford this season. All four wins for Springfield have come by one goal, including three 2-1 finals. The Falcons went 2-2-1-0 at home this season against the Pack. Hartford is coming of a 9-2 loss to the Worcester Sharks on Wednesday night at the XL Center, where the Falcons are 7-15-1-1 over the past five seasons.
Falcons Player Notes:
• Ryan O’Marra has three goals against the Wolf Pack this season.
• Chad Wiseman leads the Falcons in scoring in the season series with two goals and four assists in seven games.
• Chris Armstrong has picked up five assists in addition to a single goal in six games against Hartford this season.
• Jordan Eberle, who scored the Falcons lone goal last Saturday, has two goals and four assists in two games against the Pack.
Wolf Pack Player Notes:
• Corey Locke leads all players in the season series with 12 points against the Falcons, five goals and seven assists.
• Brodie Dupont had two goals last Saturday and has five in the season series.
• Hartford captain Dane Byers has two goals and three assists against the Falcons this season.
• Derek Couture has scored three goals and notched two assists in seven games against the Falcons this season.