FALCONS BEAT SHARKS 4-2
January 25, 2012 - The Springfield Falcons needed a win on Wednesday and they found a way to get a well deserved two points in the standings. Alexandre Giroux scored a pair of goals and goaltender Paul Dainton made 37 saves, including one on a penalty shot in leading the Falcons to a 4-2 victory over the Worcester Sharks at the DCU Center. The Falcons now get ready for a trip to Portland, Maine on Friday.
"We had to find a way tonight and guys did just that," said Falcons head coach Rob Riley. "We had some guys step up, just an overall good team win."
The Falcons got off to a good start in the first period recording the game's first five shots, but Worcester used the power play at 8:39 when Mike Connolly collected his eighth goal of the year giving the Sharks a 1-0 lead.
In the second period, the Falcons found the equalizer at 7:25 when Giroux scored his first goal of the night evening the score at 1-1. The Sharks had a chance late in the second period to regain their lead when Brandon Mashinter was awarded a penalty shot, but Dainton come up big and made the save keeping the game deadlocked heading into the final 20 minutes.
"Paul (Dainton) was great and he has done that before for us," said Riley. "He competes hard and he made some very key saves at important times in the game."
In the third period, Giroux found himself alone in the slot at 5:10 and the sniper didn't make a mistake giving Springfield a 2-1 adsvantage. At 8:39 of the final period, Dane Byers tallied his ninth marker on the campaign extending the Falcons lead to 3-1. Tomas Kubalik added a late power play goal for Springfield to build a 4-1 cushion and helping close out a Falcons' victory.
The Falcons are now 4-1-1-0 against the Sharks in the season series.
Matt Calvert - Martin St. Pierre - Cam Atkinson
Alexandre Giroux - Nick Drazenovic - Tomas Kubalik
Maksim Mayorov - Andrew Joudrey - Dane Byers
Tim Spencer - Ryan Garlock - Wade MacLeod
David Savard - Brent Regner
Dalton Prout - Greg Amadio
Theo Ruth- Patrick Cullity
Not dressed: Adam Mair (Injured), Cody Goloubef (Injured), Nick Holden (Injured), Cody Bass (Injured), Anton Blomqvist, Aaron Bogosian
Springfield Falcons 4 at Worcester Sharks 2 - Status: Final
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - DCU Center
Springfield 0 1 3 - 4
Worcester 1 0 1 - 2
1st Period-1, Worcester, Connolly 8 (Combs, Irwin), 8:39 (PP). Penalties-served by Spr (bench minor - too many men), 5:40; Atkinson Spr (hooking), 7:30; Moon Wor (unsportsmanlike conduct), 9:57; Gogol Wor (tripping), 18:13; Calvert Spr (high-sticking), 18:16.
2nd Period-2, Springfield, Giroux 14 (Byers, Cullity), 7:25. Penalties-Doherty Wor (roughing), 5:15; Giroux Spr (roughing), 9:25; Doherty Wor (roughing), 9:25; Calvert Spr (high-sticking), 10:05; Irwin Wor (delay of game), 12:20.
3rd Period-3, Springfield, Giroux 15 (Cullity, Drazenovic), 5:10. 4, Springfield, Byers 9 (Joudrey, Mayorov), 8:39. 5, Springfield, Kubalik 8 (Savard, St. Pierre), 16:34 (PP). 6, Worcester, Irwin 8 (Combs, Acolatse), 19:54 (PP). Penalties-Joudrey Spr (high-sticking), 0:04; Combs Wor (boarding), 12:44; Irwin Wor (hooking), 15:44; Kubalik Spr (roughing), 16:34; O'Hanley Wor (cross-checking), 16:34; served by MacLeod Spr (unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:04; Giroux Spr (roughing, slashing), 19:04; Gogol Wor (roughing), 19:04.
Shots on Goal-Springfield 10-10-7-27. Worcester 16-12-11-39.
Power Play Opportunities-Springfield 1 / 6; Worcester 2 / 7.
Goalies-Springfield, Dainton 2-2-0 (39 shots-37 saves). Worcester, Sateri 9-6-0 (27 shots-23 saves).
Referees-Mark Lemelin (41), Geno Binda (22).
Linesmen-Bob Bernard (42), Chris Millea (33).
· The Springfield Falcons will play three games in four days starting Wednesday night before heading into the AHL’s All-Star Break from January 29 – February 1. The Falcons will play in
· Cam Atkinson has points in six of his last eight contests picking up eight goals in that stretch. Atkinson is fifth in the AHL in rookie scoring with 23 goals and 10 assists for 33 points in 38 games. He is also second among all league rookies in goals.
· Cam Atkinson already has the fourth highest goal total by a Falcons rookie through 38 games played. Atkinson tied Jeff Taffe for 4th on the list, Taffe collected 23 goals for the Falcons in 02-03. Tomas Kubalik has the third highest goal total by a Falcons rookie set last year when he notched 24 markers. Jason Jaspers is second on the list with 25 goals in 01-02 and Daniel Briere is tops on the list with 36 set during his rookie year of 1997-98.
· The Falcons welcomed a pair of new players into the lineup this weekend. Defenseman Greg Amadio made his debut on Friday night in
· Nick Drazenovic returned to the lineup on Friday after missing 18 games due to injury. Drazenovic collected one goal and one assist in the three games this past weekend and played in his 300th career pro game on Saturday against Albany.
· Alexandre Giroux has points in 7 of his last 9 games collecting three goals and six assists in that span.
· Matt Calvert has points in eight of his last 10 games collecting five goals and four assists in that span.
· Martin St. Pierre has points in five of his last six games totaling one goal and four assists in that span.