FALCONS BEAT WHALE 2-1
January 28, 2012 - The Springfield Falcons won their third straight game beating the Connecticut Whale by a score of 2-1 on Saturday night at the XL Center in Hartford, CT. The Falcons used a 24-save effort from goaltender Paul Dainton, and goals from Tim Spencer and Maksim Mayorov in earning their 21st win of the season. The Falcons will head into the AHL's All Star Break with a record of 21-20-1-2 and only four points out of first place in the Northeast Division.
The Falcons looked to continue the momentum they gained in their previous two games with wins over Worcester on Wednesday and Portland on Friday. Springfield came out in the first period and took the lead late in the frame when Spencer tipped in a Theo Ruth shot from the right point.
The Falcons held onto their lead until late in the second period when Mats Zuccarello slid behind the Falcons defense and slipped a shot throuh the pads of Dainton evening the score at 1-1 at 18:08 of the middle period.
In the third period, the Falcons for the second straight night found a way to get the go-ahead goal as All Star Cam Atkinson made a beautiful back door pass to a streaking Mayorov, who one-timed a shot past Connecticut goaltender Cameron Talbot at 6:03 of the final frame giving the Birds a 2-1 advantage.
Dainton was once again rock solid in goal turning aside all 14 Connecticut shots in the third period, including a stretched out pad save on Jonathan Audy-Marchessault on a Whale power play late in the final stanza.
The Falcons penalty killers were a perfect 6-6 on the evening. Springfield will now have four days off as part of the league's All Star Break. The Falcons get back in action on Friday when they head to Providence, RI to battle the Bruins.
Matt Calvert - Martin St. Pierre - Cam Atkinson
Alexandre Giroux - Nick Drazenovic - Tomas Kubalik
Maksim Mayorov - Andrew Joudrey - Dane Byers
Tim Spencer - Ryan Garlock - Wade MacLeod
David Savard - Brent Regner
Dalton Prout - Anton Blomqvist
Theo Ruth- Patrick Cullity
Paul Dainton Springfield Falcons 2 at Connecticut Whale 1 - Status: Final
Not dressed: Adam Mair (Injured), Cody Goloubef (Injured), Nick Holden (Injured), Cody Bass (Injured), Greg Amadio (Injured), Mark Dekanich (Injured), Manny Legace (Injured), Aaron Bogosian
Saturday, January 28, 2012 - XL Center Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Springfield 1 0 1 - 2
Connecticut 0 1 0 - 1
1st Period-1, Springfield, Spencer 2 (Ruth, MacLeod), 17:00. Penalties-Cullity Spr (slashing), 1:04; Thuresson Ct (delay of game), 8:52; Calvert Spr (high-sticking), 9:08; Dainton Spr (delay of game), 12:00.
2nd Period-2, Connecticut, Zuccarello 9 (Audy-Marchessault, Parlett), 18:08. Penalties-Audy-Marchessault Ct (tripping), 5:19; Garlock Spr (hooking), 8:22; Prout Spr (delay of game), 14:08; Calvert Spr (roughing), 20:00; Erixon Ct (roughing), 20:00.
3rd Period-3, Springfield, Mayorov 4 (Atkinson, St. Pierre), 6:03. Penalties-Drazenovic Spr (checking to the head), 7:25.
Shots on Goal-Springfield 8-9-12-29. Connecticut 7-4-14-25.
Power Play Opportunities-Springfield 0 / 2; Connecticut 0 / 6.
Goalies-Springfield, Dainton 4-2-0 (25 shots-24 saves). Connecticut, Talbot 9-11-0 (29 shots-27 saves).
Referees-Francis Charron (46).
Linesmen-Luke Galvin (2), Jim Briggs (83).
Springfield Falcons 2 at Connecticut Whale 1 - Status: Final
· Cam Atkinson has points in seven of his last 10 contests picking up nine goals in that stretch. Atkinson is sixth in the AHL in rookie scoring with 24 goals and 10 assists for 34 points in 40 games. He is also tied for top spot in goals for rookies.
· Cam Atkinson already has the fourth highest goal total by a Falcons rookie in a single season through 40 games played. Atkinson tied Tomas Kubalik for third on the list last night with 24 markers, which Kubalik set last year. Atkinson tied Jeff Taffe for 4th on the list last week, Taffe collected 23 goals for the Falcons in 02-03. Jason Jaspers is second on the list with 25 goals in 01-02 and Daniel Briere is tops on the list with 36 set during his rookie year of 1997-98.
· Nick Drazenovic returned to the lineup on January 20 after missing 18 games due to injury. Drazenovic collected one goal and one assist in the three games last weekend and played in his 300th career pro game on January 21 against Albany and 300th AHL game last night.
· Alexandre Giroux has points in 9 of his last 11 games collecting five goals and seven assists in that span.
· Matt Calvert has points in 9 of his last 12 games collecting five goals and six assists in that span.
· Martin St. Pierre has points in 7 of his last 8 games totaling one goal and six assists in that span.
· Tomas Kubalik has points in 6 of his last 8 games totaling five goals and three assists.