FALCONS FALL TO MONARCHS 5-2
February 24, 2010 - The Springfield Falcons lost to the Manchester Monarchs 5-2 on Wednesday night at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. Manchester received goals from Kevin Westgarth and David Meckler in the opening period. The Falcons outshot Manchester 21-11 in the opening period, but Manchester goaltender Jonathan Bernier made all 21 saves.
Jake Taylor and Westgarth dropped the gloves midway through the opening frame with Taylor scoring the knockdown.
In the second period, Meckler scored his second goal of the game at 1:41, followed by Bud Holloway giving Manchester a 4-0 lead at 10:10 of the middle frame. Chris Minard cut Springfield's deficit to 4-1 at 16:16 of the second period.
In the third period, Charles Linglet pulled the Falcons to within 4-2 wirh a power play goal at 1:08, but Corey Elins gave Manchester a 5-2 advantage at 3:41 of the final frame.
Springfield Falcons Lineup
Charles Linglet (7) - Chad Wiseman (15) - Chris Minard (14)
Liam Reddox (9) - Rob Hisey (13) - Colton Fretter (19)
Ryan MacMurchy (10) - Ryan O'Marra (22) - Colin McDonald (18)
Slava Trukhno (11) - Bryan Lerg (16) - Jason Pitton (39)
Chris Armstrong (32) - Taylor Chorney (4)
Theo Peckham (24) - Johan Motin (8)
Dean Arsene (29) - Jake Taylor (25)
Devan Dubnyk (40)
Bryon Lewis (1)
FALCONS SCRATCHES - J.F. David (Healthy), Matt Nickerson (Healthy), Geoff Paukovich (Healthy), Alex Plante (Injured), Kip Brennan (Injured)
Game Night Notes...
The Springfield Falcons signed goaltender Bryon Lewis to an Amateur Tryout Agreement on Wednesday afternoon after J.P. Levasseur was reassigned by the Anaheim Ducks back to the Central Hockey League's Laredo Bucks.
Game Setup: The Falcons will take on the Atlantic Division’s third place team for the 7th time this season in the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. Springfield holds a 1-4-0-1 record over the Monarchs this season. The Falcons are only 7-18-3-1 on the road this season including two losses last weekend in Norfolk. The Falcons have not faired any better in the Granite State only managing 4 wins in the last 5 years when visiting Manchester.
The Monarchs are 32-20-2-5 so far this season but have only won four times in their last 10 games. However, Manchester holds an impressive home record of 19-8-0-2. During last weekends action the Monarchs went 1-2-0-0. They were shutout Friday in Lowell but responded by blanking the Bruins 4-0 on Saturday night. On Sunday, in their most recent game, Manchester fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 4-2.
Falcons Player Notes
• Points leader Charles Linglet has 5 points against the Monarchs this season. Linglet scored 2 goals in Saturday’s shootout loss to Norfolk.
• Colton Fretter and Chris Minard each have two goals in the season series.
• Devan Dubnyk is 1-1-0-0 against Manchester this year with a 2.50 goals against average. J.P. Levasseur is has a loss in his only appearance against the Monarchs this season, giving up only 2 goals.
Monarchs Player Notes
• Rookie Corey Elkins is 5th among AHL rookies with 36 points. Elkins has a goal and 2 assists against the Falcons this season.
• Goalie Johnathan Bernier leads the league with 45 games played already this year. Bernier’s 24 wins place him 5th in the AHL.
• Bud Holloway has notched a pair of goals and 7 assists in the season series. His 9 points are best in the 6 previous meetings.